The Town Council is funding a massive improvement to the CCTV coverage in Desborough to deter crime and to aid in securing arrests and convictions for criminal activity.
Desborough currently has four CCTV cameras: three cover the town centre and one is on the Recreation Ground. The Town Council is funding the replacement of these cameras and the installation of new cameras at other locations. The cameras will be monitored 24 hours a day and the controllers will be able to pan, tilt, and zoom in. Consultations have been held with local residents to seek their views on the proposals.
The existing cameras are located as follows:
- Station Road / Havelock Street
- High Street / Station Road
- High Street / Dunkirk Avenue
- Dunkirk Avenue Recreation Ground adjacent to the Bowls Club
The installation of the new cameras funded entirely by the Town Council will be in these locations:
- Chaplins Lane (Dunkirk Avenue Recreation Ground, in the north-west corner)
- Leisure Centre at The Grange (two cameras)
- Braybrooke Road, opposite Hilltop Avenue
- Braybrooke Road / Straight Furlong
- B576 / Harborough Road (Grange estate roundabout)
- B576 opposite Lower Street
- Lower Street near the War Memorial gardens